A lot of shops can apply griptape for you, but not always for free. Maybe you ordered online and have to assemble everything yourself? Anyhow it’s good to know how to this yourself.
- Get a knife and a hair dryer.
- Start heating your old griptape to melt the glue. This might take a while, but it makes the next steps easier.
- Peel the griptape back for an inch or a little more, using your knife.
- You can pull off your griptape with your hands now, just heat-peel, heat-peel, heat-peel.
- After about 6 inches, put your foot on your deck behind the griptape, and pull slowly.
- Now just peel off the spots you’ve missed and you have a skinned deck.
- You’ll need a screwdriver, a knife and a fresh roll of griptape.
- Peel the grip from its backing paper.
- Start in the center of your board and press the griptape down.
- Everything down? Okay let’s get those air bubbles out. Simply push them down with your thumb (or a skateboard wheel)
11. Rub over the edges of your board with the screwdriver to make a fold.
12. Cut the griptape with your knife at the edges you just created.
13. Use the scraps of griptape to smoothen the edges.
14. Put your trucks back on and you’re ready!
Really simple, right?